Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Potty Training a 2 years old

My mother, MIL and husband had been asking me to potty train Milan since she was barely 1 year old. At the time, i wasn't ready yet. Thinking, 'oh my, how am i suppose to clean the carpet if she pee or poo on it?'. So i took my own sweet time until she was about 2 1/2 years old. right when she knows how to speak fluently and understands instruction.

Firstly, i made her choose her favourite potty. She chose an apple green potty from Ikea.

Then, i chose a random but right, relaxing day to start. When i say relaxing, it is a day when I'm not too stressed and we are both in a tip top condition.

Start the day by not putting diaper on. Only a short pant. Or if you can afford a pull up diaper, that would be very much recommended.

Take her to the loo for every 10mins. The more the better. Because on the first day, she needs to get the idea that she needs to do 'her business' in the potty. Of course there are times when i was occupied with my 2nd girl, Milan missed her 10mins interval and i had to wipe the floor (thanks to whoever invented kitchen tissue, wet tissue and Febreeze).

Expand the time interval everyday until she gets the idea and be able to control her bladder. Thanked God, Milan is such a sweetie. She 'mastered' the potty training in a week. She's always easy to train. I had her off her pacifier in just a day!

Now she is diaper free when at home but wears it during bedtime or when going out. However, most of the time the diaper comes out dry.

There was one time, she was playing with the kids at her grandparents'. Diaperless. She needed to pee. I asked her to hold on. And she did! After few rounds of running around, she came to me and said this "Mom, i can hear water splashing in my tummy. It want to come out. I need to shee-shee". LOL! We went home immediately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

potty training...sigh...sigh...my 3.7 year old boy is still in diapers..my neverending challenge..

i blame myself..kita ni cepat sangat give up wak!

CarolRG said...

Well, good to hear you both are doing quite well on the training.

THE PARENTS

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Milan

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sophie

Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers