Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Handmade is EXPENSIVE?

I have set a facebook page for my handmade. Find my precious 'babies' here. Don't forget to 'Like'. 

At first i was quite reluctant to set a page simply because i was a little bit worried for not being able to cope up with too many orders. Very optimistic eh? Hehe. Then, my 'babies' have admirers. Friend bought headbands for her daughters, then the friend's sister's friend likes them and add me in my personal fb account. Then, some strangers too. To which i couldn't differentiate if they are genuine 'potential buyers' or 'potential stalkers'. I guess it is wise to set up a page.

I'll manage on any bulk orders, if there's any lah kan.

To date, thanks to my friends for their supports. Really, really appreciate it. From the bottom of my heart. But, there's someone commented on my handmade as 'too expensive'. I have a degree in accounting. I passed 3 levels of Cost Accounting. And trust me, costing is no rocket science. 

Of course handmade are a little bit expensive than on the shelf item. Like mine, it is a 'one man' (or woman) show (not to forget, i have 2 little women who need my attention too). So basically, answering queries, replying emails, purchasing materials, cutting,designing, MAKING, shooting, editing, posting pic, checking payment, sending out goods and follow up...all done by me. Add that to overhead expenses. If i were to take into account the time i spend on all these, i could never sell an item for it is way too expensive. 

Some sellers offer free postage. Either they have 'postage' fund or they have incorporate the cost into the price of their item. Eg: An item cost RM10. Shop A sells at RM10 and you pay another RM9 for postage. Shop B sells for RM20 and gives free postage. Work both ways. And sometimes, you are paying more for those who offers free postage, but somehow the word "FREE" gets us everytime.

All i can say is, i priced my items reasonably. If you find it expensive, thank you for visiting. 

My ex boss used to tell me, "Cheap Thing No Good, Good Thing No Cheap". Pick one. And mine is more to Affordable Good Thing.

By the way, here's how you decide your handmade retail price. Now, go "Like" my page. Thanking you in advance, xoxo.

*credit to google


2 comments:

Puteri said...

To those yg cakap mahal..try buat sendirilah. Then only they will know how to appreciate.

Pedulikan org nak cakap apa wak..I think you are doing a great job.

Envy okehh!

CarolRG said...

Thanks for your support awak :).

THE PARENTS

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Milan

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sophie

Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers